Tuesday, March 16, 2010

leaving a job that just doesn't fit

Today was my last day at the youth resource center I had been working at for the past 2 months. I was working as a youth support worker for youth who are in Child Welfare and foster care system.

A few weeks into the job I was unsure of it. I wasn't sure if I was cut out for the work and I knew it wasn't what I wanted to do. But, I thought I would try to stick it out for awhile to get some new and varied experience. Bad days got worse and coming home from work hating my life was not worth it. Plus, the pay wasn't that great.

I realized today that I jumped into this job too quickly. I wanted a full time job. I wanted a steady pay cheque. I applied and I didn't ask myself if I thought that I would enjoy doing youth support work. I think that was the missing link that never really came into the job search picture before. Now, I know that no job is worth being completely unhappy and crying about how shitty your day was everyday. It is better (for me) to find a position that is less hours, less money, but that I enjoy most of the time.

I was not too sad to leave this job except I worked with some of the nicest people I have ever encountered on a job. I only worked there for 2 months and they got me a good luck card and a cake. I honestly did not expect anything but some handshakes and some good luck's. Instead, I got hugs and cheesecake. I hope I can stay in touch with some of these amazing people that really helped me through those terrible days, the coworkers that bought me Slurpees to cheer me up, and the people who played friendly pranks on me at lunch time. At least one good thing came out of my experience at this job- two if you count the realization that I no longer need to read the youth support worker job ads.

To all the support workers at the unnamed resource center...

Thank you. Good luck. You are great at your job and deserve much more credit than anyone will ever give you!

-Jovan

No comments:

Post a Comment