Sunday, March 14, 2010

First Post of the Rest of My Life...

Hello!

My name is Jovan. I am 25 years old and this is my blog- Life After Convocation.

I live in an excruciatingly small and dirty city in Canada. I am also a recent University graduate. Since graduation, I have been having quite the ordeal in actually getting to the point where I always hoped I would be once I got that diploma. I know of many people like me who have struggled and are still struggling to make it in the non-academic world after school.

Here's a quick history lesson:

I graduated in October 2009 from a local University with a 4-year Sociology degree. I minored in Conflict Resolution Studies. In hindsight, I feel I should have pursued a different degree- something a bit more useful and less broad. Even though I have a 4 year degree, I was in school for about 5 and a half years. I enjoyed school, especially in my last 2 years. I was good at it. I liked learning and researching. I loved lectures and wacky professors. I liked writing papers and getting A's. I was good at it.

When I graduated, I was disillusioned. I thought that this piece of paper would make it easier for me. I thought I would be able to get a job I enjoyed. I thought I could do whatever I wanted. I thought I would make some decent money or at least more than what I was making at the time. Little did I know and quickly did I find out- that piece of paper is pretty but somewhat useless.

This blog is all about the trials and tribulations that I have encountered after graduation. Some posts may be about things that happened in the past. Some posts may be focused on the present. Other posts may be just plain ol' bitching and complaining. I hope that you can relate to this blog or at least find the humor in it all.

**Fingers crossed for a movie deal**

1 comment:

  1. Ouch, you would think that after all those years of education that employment would not be such a dilema. It makes you question the value of education in the current market! How much education is needed or maybe this would be a time for universities to re-evaluate how academia is taught.I think universities should be more like technical colleges with a heavy influence on co-op programs since without experience, how do you get into the job market?

    ReplyDelete