Thursday, July 22, 2010

Paradigm Life Shift



When you are in your twenties it seems like life is always changing- you are moving, traveling, every school year is different, you get new jobs, new friends, new boy/girlfriends, etc. Your paradigm is never really a paradigm- life is never the same, so how do you know when it is shifting?

The last paradigm shift that I felt in my life was leaving my mother's home- that was 7 years ago. I went from feeling like a child to feeling like an adult. I went from being *somewhat* cared for to caring for myself. That was a wonderful change for me, it made me independent and encouraged me to budget my money.

I woke up today and felt another finite shift in my life. I am moving, yet again. This will be move 7.0, but it is a very different move. I am moving to an apartment where it will be just me. Only me. Alone. That's it.

My life is going from being a duo to being a solo act, in a sense, without a break up or parting of ways. I have been feeling for a long time that I need a heightened amount of independence. I want to know that I can do it on my own. I want to show other people that I can do it. I don't want to have to depend on anyone- not that I really had been.

Paradigms, they are funny little bastards. They can make your life good, bad, or just plain different. How has your paradigm shifted lately?

3 comments:

  1. Wow. living on your own is a huge step. I lived in St.B by myself for a while. While I appreciated the freedom, I found living solo somewhat difficult. More so the eating for one, and all the extra expense. Things like internet and TV seem so much more expensive when you have a pay for them yourself.

    Good Luck with the move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am a little scared. I think the thing I will miss the most is knowing that there is someone at home waiting for you to walk in the door. I love that feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Samson will be waiting! I think you will do great-- you are kind of a free bird, aren't ya? I think you will enjoy this JV time... get to know you... your own self expedition. I'm looking forward to hearing how this new chapter grows for you! What an exciting time!

    On another note, is it your BSW you graduated with? Have you considered applying with corrections? I'm going into parole... it is a great mix of social work and criminology... which is my major now. They always hire social workers!

    ReplyDelete