Friday, January 21, 2011

Quarter Life Intervention

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately. Thinking about everything- life, love, school, work, travel, friendships, family. Literally thinking about EVERYTHING. Thinking about how these things affect me, how I interact within them, and how relevant they are to the big picture of my life.

The words "quarter life crisis" seem to echo in my brain these days, however, I do not want to label the type of change I seem to be going through. The change that is taking place within me is more of a shift from future oriented, work focused to a present-living, life focused. I felt like if I didn't make a change soon I will have missed out on a lot of life while focusing on school and making money. I don't want to look back and regret anything.

I've already begun my paradigm shift. I've been focusing on myself a lot more and doing things that make me happy- like snowshoeing for hours in -30C and planning to run a 5K race. It's a start! I'm also planning a solo trip- I just don't know where yet! I also quit a job that wasn't fulfilling me and no longer enjoyed. I did that because I felt like if I'm not enjoying myself or learning, then it is not adding anything to the quality of my life. It just clicked in my head and I decided to make the difficult decision that I was hemming and hawing over for months, and I am happy now.

I'm not sure where I picked up my instinct that work was so important to life. Obviously working = money and money = stuff and whatnot. However, the "stuff & whatnot" is exactly what I want to live without and have been for awhile now. I always seem to worry about money, it most likely comes from my poor upbringing- but as of right now travel is the only thing I long for.

I'm not sure if I have explained my feelings very well. But I can sum it up more along the lines of: life is more valuable than work.

No comments:

Post a Comment