Friday, October 1, 2010

Attempting to Move Forward

How do you know when it is time to move on? No, no, no... no more relationship blather from me. How do you know when it is time to move on and away from a job or position that you hold?

I had been struggling with leaving my volunteer position at the women's shelter for some time. I felt that I had gained as much knowledge from my position as I could. I loved the staff and I loved the kids who I spent time with there. However, after nearly 6 months of volunteering, it became obvious that there was no more room to learn or advance- especially after the director told me that even though I was an ideal candidate for their current job posting, I would not get the job because I did not have a vehicle. Therefore, I made the decision that I had gotten everything out of the position that I could and told them it was time for me to move on. They understood, wished me well, and agreed to be a new reference for me.

I am now faced with a much harder decision. How do I move on from a job that is not teaching me new skills and there is no room for me to move up? It is a much more difficult decision since this position helps to pay my bills. I am not challenged at this job and any decisions I make are second-guessed. I want to find a new workplace where I can learn and grow. But, I'm scared that I won't be able to find one and I will be broke trying to find one.

I would be happy with a part time position to compliment my weekend job. Then I could quit the other 2 jobs I still hold. I'm looking, but the market is tight, especially for people just out of school.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. It is so refreshing to read your post because it is EXACTLY the same situation I am currently in. On the one hand it's hard to stay, on the other it's hard to leave. What if you don't find the same success/learning in a new opportunity? I guess we have to take a leap of faith and trust that we are moving in the right direction. Thanks for sharing your thoughts - I wish you all the best in your decisions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your dilema. I've been looking for a job for the past two years. In the meantime I've held on to my current job. My situation is slightly more complicated but we don't need to get into right now.

    ReplyDelete